Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Man and his Automobile


There is a sacred bond between a man and his automobile.

From childhood we added the sound affects to our matchbox cars with our “vrooms.” Later we tried to dress up our first beater car and find someway to personalize the hand me down. The next phase in the man (and his car) relationship comes after the first legitimate job.

A man in his twenties with his first job really should still be driving his highschool/college beater to save money for the grandest of investments – a house. This would be the smart play, but genetically it’s not possible. You see between now and marriage, essentially a guy can buy a completely impractical car. He has no need for a backseat, he has no children. There is no wife to tell nag him about what a financial mistake he’s making. It only needs to make sense to him alone.

Wide-eyed with a few extra bucks after rent, the scope is limitless (within reason).

A fan of European cars myself, I have to say recently I have been eyeing the Mustang. The retro-futuristic design is very appealing. Drawing design cues from yesteryear. The 60s Mustangs are head turners till this day. That means if you were an original owner of a 60s Mustang, you’ve had a badass ride for 40 years.

The Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 ladies and gents. I had this dream where I pick up my son in this vehicle (ahem light years from now – knock on wood). With the v8 still grumbling I motion for my son to get in… his buddies now behind the chain-link fence looking on with a sparkle in their eye with a mutter.. “wow ____’s dad has a cool car.”

No comments: