Friday, June 20, 2008

Coldplay Revelation


The serious thinking is done essentially on the drive to/from work. Having had all the quirks worked out early on, the drive is basically autopilot. I have strategically worked out a route to work, where I can take the minimal amount of lane changes on the highway. I will ride on the ass of a big rig for minutes before I realize that I need to switch from autopilot to manual override mode and actually switch lanes – I seldom like to do this. Call it lazy, or call it a science..Regardless it allows for the best time for reflection and thought.

This morning, I popped in the new Coldplay cd – Viva La Vida. After a few tracks, a revelation came to me. Aside from a few random phrases here and there, I could not decipher what Chris Martin was singing about. Having owned two other Coldplay cds, I was stricken with the notion that I don't think I know or understand any of their past or present songs. This was a little unnerving. I deduced that Chris Martin's lyrics and singing are registered in my mind as a just a melodic mush. An agreeable mush albeit. I find myself merely waiting for the words that I can decipher to come up again during the song so that I could find some connection. Until the curiosity overtakes me to look into the lyrics, I will continue to appreciate arguably the largest band in the world's music on the level of a baby mouse.. or infant at best. With that I will reserve my review on the album.

It's not bad..worth checking out.

No comments: