Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Five Guys Burgers and Fries



There is a new burger joint in town (California at least) and its called.. Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

The consensus is that In & Out makes a great burger. It has been the gold standard for a typical burger run but recently off of the suggestion of a friend, I stumbled into a Five Guys in Carson (the only location in all of California).

The menu was rather simple.. but it took me a while to order. Building my own burger was a bit mind boggling as I was used to the prefabricated recipes sold in so many burger chains. I wanted to say yes to every single topping as I have this unexplainable greedy nature when it comes to food (I have a love hate relationship with buffets ..but that's a story to be told another time).

Upon receiving my burger, I would rate the presentation as a 2/5. Truth be told this is not a good looking burger. The reason being is that the patties don't seem perfectly processed to be thin squares/circles and the bun had the hand print of the burger artist due to having to smash and condense the burger down to a manageable shape. Basically all the tell tale signs of a home made burger.

It took me all of 1.5 minutes to finish. The burger was great. The mushrooms that i added to the burger were plentiful. The burger had the right consistency. The bun was soft to the touch and almost dough like (making it susceptible to hand prints). The fries were thick with the skin on. The place definitely hit the spot.

I can't crown this place as better than In & Out but it is definitely an equal. There is something about In & Out .. maybe since we've had so much history, it's hard to brush it away so quickly. It will take a few more visits to Five Guys to crown it as a favorite.. until now I suggest you check it out for yourself.

** Note: I ended up eating at Five Guys 2 times in the same weekend after the first visit.

No comments: